Google
 

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Interest Rate Roundup

I opened a couple of CDs at WaMu while I was in college and have since been rolling them over. My returns haven't been too great, with some of my earlier CDs locked in at rates around 3%, but recently trending around 5%. This weekend one of my CDs expired so I was forced with the decision of rolling it over again or pulling the money out. Interest rates at online banks have trended downwards over the past few months, so I decided to stay locked in another CD for 8 months with a rate of 5.10% APY.

My old faithful in online savings, Emigrant has served me well, but I think I held my money in these accounts for too long. Currently I have 2 CDs with 6 month maturities locked in at 5.20% APY and my regular savings account at 5.05% APY. In the past couple of days, the CD rate has fallen to 5.10% and I'm fearing a draw down on the regular savings account will soon follow.

That leaves me with E-Loan. I was late to jump on the boat when they were offering 5.50% APY on their online savings account out of sheer laziness on my part in my unwillingness to open yet another online account and shuffling money from Emigrant to my Citi Checking to E-Loan. In hindsight, I should've gone through with all the hassle for the better rate. Currently, they're offering 5.25% APY for their online savings account which is higher than any interest rate I currently have. Suffice it to say, my money is locked in various things and I'd have to do some money management/stop spending my paychecks to roll the $5,000 minimum into an E-Loan account. Boo. I guess better late than never, however, so in the coming weeks I shall do some portfolio shuffling and open yet another account. I'll report back later on my progress or lack thereof.

One Love,
Look

No comments: