Google
 

Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Citi Professional Card as Rewarding as it Claims?


To take advantage of the offers being handed out by credit card companies, I decided to sign myself up for the Citibank Professional Card (To find out more go to Citibank's site here: http://citicards.com/). The card rewards include 3% Cash Back on purchases made at restaurants, gas stations and some office supply stores and 1% Cash Back on all other purchases. Seeing that I've been spending TONS of money at the fine restaurants NYC has to offer, the feature that sold me on the card was the 3% Cash Back on restaurants. Add up all those lunch meals and dinner gatherings, the cash could definitely pile up in a hurry.

At first, the card was great and the rewards were given as advertised. I've had the card for about 3 months now and my experience with it is beginning to sour. I noticed last month that my rewards were lower than 1% of the balance on my card for the month. This was especially troubling seeing that over $300 was spent on restaurants. So not only was I not receiving the 1% Cash Back, I wasn't getting the 3% Cash Back on restaurants. I figured there must have been some mistake that was easily fixible so I emailed the support.

Their Response:
Customer Service Wrote:

To better assist you regarding rewards, we need to speak with you directly. Please contact us at 1-800-950-5114. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Outside the U.S., call collect at 605-335-2222.

Thank you for using our website.
Well I thought that was annoying, but I went ahead and called the number. After being on hold for a good 7 minutes, I was finally connected with a rep. I thought it was a bit strange that I had to tell the rep my password to my account, but wanting to fix the problem I went ahead and disclosed that information. I told her about the problem and she assured me she would get it fixed. Pleased, I hung up and thought it would all be fixed.

Weeks later I checked my account again and the problem was still not fixed. Apparently the rep hadn't come through for me. I called the number again to complain and try to get the situation fixed. The new rep, while more helpful that the previous one, didn't seem to have a handle on how the whole rewards process worked. I went through the calculations with him, having to repeat slowly what I was calculating until he finally got it. He then said that the rewards were showing up correctly on his system, but I told him they were incorrect on the online statement. He proved to be little help as he said "I'm sorry I can only tell you what's on my screen and I don't know why the online statement shows something different." So I thanked him for his time and hung up. Currently, my rewards are still incorrect and its beginning to seriously annoy me. So I'll wait another week or two before I call them back and release an angry tirade on them.

That said, I think its time to start looking for another credit card. Any suggestions?

One Love,
Look

No comments: